Clear aligners have become increasingly popular among our patients here at Palmdale Dental Group and nationwide. In fact, they account for 40 percent of all orthodontic treatments, according to the American Association of Orthodontists. And it’s no wonder: They are comfortable, effective, and almost undetectable.
But as our orthodontist reminds our patients, there are still rules to follow to protect your clear aligners and make sure they are doing their job: achieving a healthy, radiant smile! Here’s a handy list of dos and don’ts during treatment.
- Aligners must be worn constantly to achieve the desired tooth movement. That means at least 22 hours each day, according to the AAO.
- Remove the top and bottom trays every time you eat or drink to avoid damaging and staining them. Yes, you can drink water, but nothing else!
- Remember to floss and brush your teeth after each meal or snack before putting the aligners back in your mouth. Failing to do so can trap food particles and lead to tooth decay and gum disease. If you absolutely can’t brush, at least rinse your mouth out thoroughly with water.
- Clean your aligners regularly with a soft-bristled toothbrush and mild soap or solution in lukewarm water, and store them in their case.
- Besides the damage to your teeth and gums, smoking, vaping or chewing tobacco can stain your aligners.
- Never drink hot liquids while wearing your aligners or they’ll lose their shape, which will affect the treatment process.
- Avoid chewing on your aligners to keep from damaging them.
- Don’t skip the regular checkups required for our orthodontist to monitor the progress of your treatment and make adjustments if needed,
Of course, choosing the right orthodontist is the most important thing to keep in mind. Our specialist at Palmdale Dental Group has been delivering beautiful smiles for people of all ages at our clean, comfortable, state-of-the-art office. Please contact us today for an appointment!
By Palmdale Dental Group
November 29, 2023